Friday, December 1, 2006

Cormforts of Madness

The very first book review: YIPEE


THE BOOK THAT OFFERS NO COMFORTS


It’s a cold, stormy night.

Tommy the cat is wandering on my mabati roof getting his arse drenched. I could let him in, but that would be the first time a sane person has let in THIS stray cat. So I leave it alone. I sit myself on the couch, my reading one, put my feet up, snuggle under the warm blanket, light up my virtual fireplace…and turn the page…

Page 1, it’s melancholy. I fight back a tear. I fight back the second.

Page 2, 3, 4, 5…it’s all melancholy melancholy melancholy. I’m beginning to wonder why so much sadness.

Page 10, what the F? kwani, when will the sadness ever end.

I doze off at page 15. When I awake, I realize I have drooled all over page 16. I wipe it off and smudge a few words. Nothing lost. Meanwhile, Tommy has found himself a mate and by the sound of things, he’s about to get his freak on.

I struggle to get to page 30. Clearly, there’s more action on my roof than in this book.

It’s a book about some dude, a catatonic, who apparently has been confined to his wheel chair for the longest time. He can’t move a muscle. Feel a thing. All he does is see, think and be fed through a…a tube. The whole book is about what he sees and the goings on, which include experiments, at this mental facility.

But if you want to know it’s well written, I read it all the way to the end. 144 pages of anguish. By this time, I’m pissed at the author. When I finally finish the book (three days after week two) I toss the book so far, the sun will never shine on it, even if the house is brought down.

I’m wondering what the hype about this book is. Unless I, being me, ordered for the wrong book. It won an award apparently. So maybe I was wrong, but there’s no way I’m reading even the synopsis on the back cover again.

If someone can read it, cool.

The book? Comforts of Madness by Paul Sayer. Jeez.

REVIEW BY: Madcoach aka Modoathii (Told you I would acknowledge the authors)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Half nad Half.. okay if this has to be taken seriously then you must give a little attention to editing. Please... please.. typos right from the heading!

Half 'n' half said...

Noted, but would prefer to post it as is from the authors, but noted and will do the necessary.
Still a work in progress and glad to receive feed back. thank you

Half 'n' half said...

sorry, just realised that was MY typo! Better work next time